“Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.”
Today I’m back with another recipe post and I am SO excited about this one!! vegan creme egg cups! I got inspired to create these whilst I was at church on Sunday – the children were doing an easter egg hunt and were given creme eggs as prizes, and it reminded me of how much I used to love creme eggs!! So I decided to search the internet for vegan versions of creme eggs, and have a go at making my own. I adapted this recipe from ‘a virtual vegan’, making creme egg cups instead of creme eggs themselves (mostly because I thought it would be easier, quicker, and cheaper since I could just use a muffin tray and some cling film rather than buying silicone moulds).
- 1½ cups | 250g chocolate buttons (I got two bags of the ‘giant chocolate buttons’ from the free from section of Tesco)
- 1½ cups | 150g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (I used the one that says ‘for baking’, but I’m sure it’s all the same stuff really!)
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons sweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Melt the chocolate (it’s probably best to do this in a bowl over boiling water on the hob, but I just used the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds)
- Place some cling film over a muffin tray, and spoon some chocolate into around 6 or 7 sections, depending on how big the sections are! Put the rest of the melted chocolate aside until later.
- Put the tray into the freezer! Now in a bowl, combine all the other ingredients except for the turmeric and stir until smooth. Add more soy milk or icing sugar to till you get the consistency of the inside of a creme egg.
- Put about 1/3 of this mixture into a separate bowl, and add the turmeric (add more or less depending on your taste preferences and whether or not you added extra icing sugar in the previous step), combine it well!
- Now remove the chocolate tray from the freezer, and spoon a dollop of the white mixture over each chocolate cup, adding the yellow mixture to the centre of the white mixture as you go along, and topping with more white mixture. Put them back in the freezer when all chocolate cups have been filled for about 10 minutes to let them firm up (this is a good time to do some washing up while you wait haha!)
- Remove the tray from the freezer and get the remaining melted chocolate. Pour the chocolate over the top of each cup to ‘close’ them! Then put the tray back into the freezer for around 20 minutes. Remove from the freezer and viola!! Yummy vegan creme egg chocolate cups!
I made the mistake of keeping them in the fridge – it made the insides melt a bit and spill out!! So definitely keep them in the freezer and just remover around 5-10 minutes before serving! (unless you do a better job than i did of closing the cups completely with chocolate – if so they’ll be absolutely fine in the fridge!)
If you make this recipe, let me know how it turned out!!
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble”